Beta software is an updated version of an existing program
designed to either fix some particular problem, or to experiment with various
new features which may, or may not be in the next version of the
A full release of the program will have been widely tested (through the beta
process), and will contain all the files required for running the program such
as data files and, where applicable, update Help files. A beta version, by
contrast, may contain just the program and some basic release notes, and none of
the other files required for the program to function.
Before using any
beta software, you should have a full current version of the program installed, and it
should be working correctly.
This beta software:
- requires the current, released version to be installed
- is updated without notice
- has no support available
- has features that may not be in the next released
- is not guaranteed to work
- may have time-limited functionality
- may crash or give false results
- requires that you read the release notes
- .. so use at your own risk!
- .. and please keep a working backup!
As opposed to a full installation, beta software may just
contain just an updated executable file, and will therefore need some additional
steps in installing. If you are not comfortable following steps like those
listed below, please be patient and wait for the next released version. Be
sure to have the current released version installed and working before applying a beta update!
Updating a typical program - example for the MSG Data Manager
- Make sure you have the most recent release version of the
software installed and working properly.
- Visit my Web site, download and save the beta of the MSG Data Manager
from the page.
- Right-click the saved file, Properties, and click the Unblock button if
one is present.
- This Zip file contains an updated MsgDataManager.exe program file and
an updated MsgDataManager.txt "read-me" file.
- Locate your existing installation of the MSG Data Manager. Most
likely this will be (for an English language install):
- In the case of the MSG Data Manager, this folder will contain files named e.g. WaveletDLL.dll as well as
the MSG Data Manager program file.
- Stop the MSG Data Manager and close the program down.
- Rename the existing executable file:
to, for example:
- Copy the new MsgDataManager.exe from the Zip file you downloaded in
step 1 to the folder you located in step 3.
- If there were more file in the beta download, copy those as
well having backed up your working versions.
- Restart the MSG Data Manager.
For other programs the beta will typically contain just the executable and
some documentation. Take a backup of the files you intend to replace,
close down the software if it is running, and copy the files from the .Zip
update on top of the existing files.
Reverting to the original program
- Stop the MSG Data Manager and exit the program.
- Rename the new executable file:
to, for example:
- Rename the previous executable file you renamed in step 6:
- Copy any other files you backed up to the appropriate
- Restart the MSG Data Manager.
The same general procedure is true for all my beta updates.
aware of the limitations of beta software which are listed above.
They are a way you can check if you think your download might be corrupt -
very unlikely, but... Please see: http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/
If you get a message like: Ipl.dll function iplAllocateImageFP not found (error 126)
you will need to close any of my programs which are currently running,
update the runtime Library Bundle you have installed
at the moment. This update includes the function listed above, which will
make some of my software run more quickly.
Current beta-test versions:
As I know that testing by users is far more likely to detect errors that just testing by me alone, I am making
here. Please make a backup of your working version before installing these
programs, and please only install them on top of a working version. You
will need a licence for the current release version of the software.
- BUFR Viewer - V18.104.22.168 - Use Francis Breame's more recent
detect AMV files containing '-MSGAMV' in the name.
MD5 signature: E26A722675F6512C48C8495A0DC67585
- BUFR Viewer - V22.214.171.124 -
Version for newer AMV data - results need to be checked before use!
Newer Francis Breame's extractor.
MD5 signature: D9CD4D16A10A1D9CCB712DB448E3F53C
- FastWXtrack - V126.96.36.199 - Experimental
program for faster DDE tracking and Doppler updates. Option to force
Doppler text to upper-case, add setting of radio mode, freeze updates while mode list is dropped down,
layout enhancements, issue with date/time display on Win-10 Creators noted
and worked-round, honour Windows themes, reduce the frequency of some displayed data
(makes it easier to read the values, but Doppler and pointing still calculated as fast as
possible), high-precision DDE option.
MD5 signature: AA81A4004B45486FDCCA5B74C135ED3A
- GeoSatSignal - V188.8.131.521 - Support GOES-18
work, use GOES-18 for EUMETCast Browse|Latest, label GOES-17 data as "GOES-18", update Mid-Atlantic 500mb overlays for 24-hour and 36-hour
https://ocean.weather.gov/shtml/ppag50bw.gif (36 hour)
https://ocean.weather.gov/shtml/ppae51bw.gif (24 hour)
MD5 signature - CFD08B69912325033E6D4C064CA694A3
- GRIB Viewer - V184.108.40.2068 - Update for revised FIR
data, faster start-up, accept FIRG GRIB data.
MD5 signature: 61A16FFA861A0A13F506F22346DE3139
- Ground Map - V220.127.116.11 - Support more satellites,
faster start-up - just enter your existing licence without using Run as Admin.
MD5 signature: F95BCBAD400F97F8C50293ADC29C12DE
- HDF Viewer - V2.0.3 - Update for recent FRM changes,
support MSG-Disk size (3712 x 3712) data, faster loading (enter the licence key in USER, not ADMIN mode).
MD5 signature: C78F7AF419412A4A1EA8A2846E495780
- HRPT Reader - V18.104.22.1684 -
Extend Meteor-M support
- files named like: 2_HRPT_20210227_1506_MN2.dat, start Meteor-MN2-2 support
files named like 2019-07-18_1429_MN22.dat, add simple .KML reader option for boundaries,
correct error in "FY-3C ?" Kepler request, experimental histogram equalise
MD5 signature: 7E67248C7426118D8CDBEE807B65C13
- Map-to-GEO - V22.214.171.124 - Support PNG input interactively,
support TIF input interactively, support NESDIS GOES-E and GOES-W subsets (will look for .TFW file in the same directory,
but provide defaults if .TFW is not present, batch operation supported, remapping to
EUMETCast GOES-E/W projections), add GOES-16 (as GOES-E) segment (typical output filename:
GoesEast04I22530245.bmp), move GOES-W to 128° W, add GOES-17 (as GOES-W),
support FY-2H data at 79° E, add IODC at new location: IODN (including HRV disk).
MD5 signature: 89F77F137C9874D384988CE966D42DF7
- Metop Manager - V126.96.36.1990
- Make "display times" the default in the browser tab, make GAC Composite Image from thermal
channel (option to use descending & visible, ignoring daylight
threshold), add option for PyTroll users to save source files as received, clarify "Is NOAA-19 handler" checkbox (uncheck not to delete processed NOAA-19 images
and enter a dummy directory not to process NOAA-19 data).
MD5 signature: 4780D0461348F9DC865E1ED7899AC42F
- MSG Animator - V188.8.131.528
- Support GOES-18 data replacing GOES-17, work
on new format MPEF names, .MPEG recognised as well as .MPE.
MD5 signature: CF32139A4C9083B7880F5859560639C1
- MSG Data Manager - V184.108.40.2060
- Update reporting for IODC and RSS new MPEF names, update MPEF retention to include any mpeg files,
update for Met-11 being RSS, and Met-10 being Prime. Correct Met-11/RSS file logging and save
MD5 signature: 22E9EB00A85C670CE906E744DF91E867
- Pass Control - 220.127.116.11 - Update for current satellites and frequencies,
stop pass if it was started late or ends earlier than (start + duration) would predict,
layout changes for DDE string, only save & restore form location, not size.
MD5 signature: D8CB0763B64F6ED50B6664D7DD0248F8
- SatSignal - V18.104.22.1688 -
Restore some missing items from the Overlay options dialog, faster start-up
(no need to Run as Admin when entering the licence key).
MD5 signature: CC977C478D92B97D290909478ED64606
- Sentinel2 to JPEG - V22.214.171.124 -
Right-click on image to invoke Options dialog. Experimental
features: accept two .TIF files for drag-and-drop or command-line, accept Landsat-7 data
(blue file name - must end B1.TIF, green file name - must end B2.TIF, red file name - must end B3.TIF,
file names must start "LE07" or be 8011 (W) x 6911 (H) images).
MD5 signature: 765951FF1807A734D37EAA3BE002DAB4
- SGP4 component 370 beta - V126.96.36.199
- Improved pass prediction for MEO satellites.
MD5 signature: E24EB39A552574AFC7E05B7B2056078C
- Solar Outage SNR (for BDADataEx and solar
outage periods) - Experimental programs to record and plot SNR values from BDADataEx
during the forthcoming solar outage periods. Set the expected earliest
outage start (minus 5 minutes, say) and the latest expected finish (plus 5
minutes). Check the Device 1 box to add "1" to the SignalEx.exe command. Add control of sampling interval, default 5 seconds. Error
message if SignalEx.exe is not found. Accept more log file formats,
including one with UNIX time after the SNR.
The plotting program takes a filename wildcard as its parameter,
choice of smoothing, display value under cursor, text and graphical display of actual maximum SNR
reduction date and time, accept one predicted maximum time in the log file
and display it. Sample plots included.
MD5 signature: 8D90FC6E601F42A3F4DA40CF5367960B
- SweepGen - V188.8.131.52 - Allow for slow sweep up to 3600 seconds
(you can edit directly in the seconds count box, you will get warning about number of steps),
remove initial set of
RHS-trigger, UI enhancements.
MD5 signature: E6F87F2C20DBCFD1230AF4C2F63854F6
- Sea-Ice & SST Viewer - V184.108.40.206
- Update for mixed DMI/NOR sea-ice data.
MD5 signature: A1B271AD2CC2C0FECA91BEB2F6F42500
- WXtrack 220.127.116.118 - Add experimental TCP tracker output on port
8009, up to 5 clients, visible across local network, may trigger firewall
request, registered version required. Ignore stale Kepler data in
nasabare files, correct right-click on View|Ephemeris|Timeline, improved pass prediction for MEO satellites.
MD5 signature: AB5CCF0CFAAE03F4D85323398EFCCE1F
I recommend Fred
van den Bosch's software DownloadPrograms - which will help to keep an eye on the
version numbers and updates for you! Sadly this is now discontinued.
If anyone can update a copy that would be appreciated.