Beta software is an updated version of an existing program
designed to either fix some particular problem, or to experiment with various
new features which may, or may not be in the next version of the
A full release of the program will have been widely tested (through the beta
process), and will contain all the files required for running the program such
as data files and, where applicable, update Help files. A beta version, by
contrast, may contain just the program and some basic release notes, and none of
the other files required for the program to function. Before using any
beta software, you should have a full current version of the program installed, and it
should be working correctly.
This beta software:
- requires the current, released version to be installed
- is updated without notice
- has no support available
- has features that may not be in the next released
- is not guaranteed to work
- may have time-limited functionality
- may crash or give false results
- requires that you read the release notes
- .. so use at your own risk!
- .. and please keep a working backup!
As opposed to a full installation, beta software may just
contain just an updated executable file, and will therefore need some additional
steps in installing. If you are not comfortable following steps like those
listed below, please be patient and wait for the next released version. Be
sure to have the current released version before applying a beta update!
Updating a typical program
- Make sure you have the most recent release version of the
software installed and working properly.
- Visit my Web site, download and save the beta of the MSG Data Manager
from the page.
- Right-click the saved file, Properties, and click the Unblock button if
one is present.
- This Zip file contains an updated MsgDataManager.exe program file and
an updated MsgDataManager.txt "read-me" file.
- Locate your existing installation of the MSG Data Manager. Most
likely this will be (for an English language install):
- In the case of the MSG Data Manager, this folder will contain files named e.g. WaveletDLL.dll as well as
the MSG Data Manager program file.
- Stop the MSG Data Manager and close the program down.
- Rename the existing executable file:
to, for example:
- Copy the new MsgDataManager.exe from the Zip file you downloaded in
step 1 to the folder you located in step 3.
- If there were more file in the beta download, copy those as
well having backed up your working versions.
- Restart the MSG Data Manager.
Reverting to the original program
- Stop the MSG Data Manager and exit the program.
- Rename the new executable file:
to, for example:
- Rename the previous executable file you renamed in step 6:
- Copy any other files you backed up to the appropriate
- Restart the MSG Data Manager.
The same general procedure is true for all my beta updates.
aware of the limitations of beta software which are listed above.
They are a way you can check if you think your download might be corrupt -
very unlikely, but... Please see: http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/
Current beta-test versions:
As I know that testing by users is far more likely to detect errors that just testing by me alone, I am making
here. Please make a backup of your working version before installing these
programs, and please only install them on top of a working version. You
will need a licence for the current release version of the software.
- BUFR Viewer - 188.8.131.52 - Use Francis Breame's more recent converter,
detect AMV files containing '-MSGAMV' in the name.
MD5 signature: E26A722675F6512C48C8495A0DC67585
- FastWXtrack - 184.108.40.206 - Experimental
program for faster DDE tracking and Doppler updates. Option to get
frequency from Radio.ini, add run/stop button, add manual frequency control
with +/- 1 kHz buttons and mouse wheel for 25 Hz fine steps, user Interface refinements,
remember last satellite used.
MD5 signature: 29B8BCA1F738627B430B52F833A0A4A4
- GeoSatSignal - 220.127.116.114 -
Support Dundee Himawari data, add 3840 x 2160 resize (for 4K monitors), add
3600x1800 World View option, handle transparent PNG logo
files, protect against errors in world view image refresh.
MD5 signature: C5B62EC1F0CD98BB0AE456F92257C0B8
- GeoSatSignal - 18.104.22.1689 - Start support for MSG IODC
coverage (basic channels work, RGB works, animations work, EUMETCast
support Dundee Himawari data, support Himawari ch.6 (2.3 Ám) for RGB (needs
new channels selected and work on RGB presets), add 3840 x 2160 resize (for 4K monitors), add
3600 x 1800 World View option, handle transparent PNG logo
files, better naming of RGB thumbnails, protect against errors in world view image refresh.
MD5 signature: 2A3C3FB784B0BEBD23DCF9B7E072F572
- HRPT Reader - 22.214.171.1248 - Add enhanced NOAA BD thermal
LUT, support .GZ compressed files (uncompressed & writes back to source
directory, requiring write access), recognise any .native extension, accept .native files without the header,
recognise .native files containing Quorum data, add
support for .asda files, add support for HBU data (a mix of .native
externally and 16-bit internally), more detail on file used for Kepler data, trap bad boundary overlay
data, provide estimated thermal calibration when calibration data is missing
but only for Metop-A and Metop-B, updates for Meteor-M N2 data in .DAT format from Oleg
via MetFy3x.exe (suppress "bad frames" message, approximate
corrected view and save corrected functions), update View|Corrected for
Windows-10, added Melbourne to the stations.dat file..
MD5 signature: 416C58D1DB8E906C9320348C06192F46
- Metop Manager - 126.96.36.1995 - Handle "Another copy..." better across restarts.
MD5 signature: 869ECDE234CF2F53E078A479AAA4C56B
- MODIS L1 Viewer - 188.8.131.52
- Set up/down text colour to blue for blue channel, prevent one variable not
being initialised, more choice in the File, Open dialog, accept "Australian" MODIS file names.
MD5 signature: B719CB47FAFD930C3AF0B1846248475F
- MSG Animator - 184.108.40.2069 - Recognise MPE as different when full-scan or rapid-scan,
start support MSG IODC data (use correct Land/Sea mask for northerly animations).
MD5 signature: 05CFC90BA779E903223A4F5C528CACF6
- MSG Data Manager - 220.127.116.111 - Autumn eclipse
updates, identify more RSS channels for animation, neater reporting for MPE
after RSS restored (no longer mixed MSG-1/MSG-2 rapid-scan), start MSG-IODC support (files saved in images\IODC and images\MPEF\IODC,
image file names: 201609050915-iodc-ch02.jpg, MPEF file names:
201609051015-cth.grb etc., MSG Animator automation supported, missing segment
reporting supported), in Advanced Setup make JPEG quality default 93 and
Delete Other unchecked by default.
MD5 signature: 6A1FA35D73DE977E29DB6E41E50CBE21
I recommend Fred
van den Bosch's software DownloadPrograms - which will help to keep an eye on the
version numbers and updates for you!