Beta software is an updated version of an existing program
designed to either fix some particular problem, or to experiment with various
new features which may, or may not be in the next version of the
A full release of the program will have been widely tested (through the beta
process), and will contain all the files required for running the program such
as data files and, where applicable, update Help files. A beta version, by
contrast, may contain just the program and some basic release notes, and none of
the other files required for the program to function. Before using any
beta software, you should have a full current version of the program installed, and it
should be working correctly.
This beta software:
- requires the current, released version to be installed
- is updated without notice
- has no support available
- has features that may not be in the next released
- is not guaranteed to work
- may have time-limited functionality
- may crash or give false results
- requires that you read the release notes
- .. so use at your own risk!
- .. and please keep a working backup!
As opposed to a full installation, beta software may just
contain just an updated executable file, and will therefore need some additional
steps in installing. If you are not comfortable following steps like those
listed below, please be patient and wait for the next released version. Be
sure to have the current released version before applying a beta update!
Updating a typical program
- Make sure you have the most recent release version of the
software installed and working properly.
- Visit my Web site, download and save the beta of the MSG Data Manager
from the page.
- Right-click the saved file, Properties, and click the Unblock button if
one is present.
- This Zip file contains an updated MsgDataManager.exe program file and
an updated MsgDataManager.txt "read-me" file.
- Locate your existing installation of the MSG Data Manager. Most
likely this will be (for an English language install):
- In the case of the MSG Data Manager, this folder will contain files named e.g. WaveletDLL.dll as well as
the MSG Data Manager program file.
- Stop the MSG Data Manager and close the program down.
- Rename the existing executable file:
to, for example:
- Copy the new MsgDataManager.exe from the Zip file you downloaded in
step 1 to the folder you located in step 3.
- If there were more file in the beta download, copy those as
well having backed up your working versions.
- Restart the MSG Data Manager.
Reverting to the original program
- Stop the MSG Data Manager and exit the program.
- Rename the new executable file:
to, for example:
- Rename the previous executable file you renamed in step 6:
- Copy any other files you backed up to the appropriate
- Restart the MSG Data Manager.
The same general procedure is true for all my beta updates.
aware of the limitations of beta software which are listed above.
They are a way you can check if you think your download might be corrupt -
very unlikely, but... Please see: http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/
Current beta-test versions:
As I know that testing by users is far more likely to detect errors that just testing by me alone, I am making
here. Please make a backup of your working version before installing these
programs, and please only install them on top of a working version. You
will need a licence for the current release version of the software.
- BUFR Viewer - 184.108.40.206 - Use Francis Breame's more recent converter,
detect AMV files containing '-MSGAMV' in the name.
MD5 signature: E26A722675F6512C48C8495A0DC67585
- FastWXtrack - 220.127.116.11 - Experimental
program for faster DDE tracking and Doppler updates. Option to get
frequency from Radio.ini, add run/stop button.
MD5 signature: BBD7286854E2905C652FD8437A72822D
- GeoSatSignal - 18.104.22.1684 -
Support Dundee Himawari data, add 3840 x 2160 resize (for 4K monitors), add
3600x1800 World View option, handle transparent PNG logo
files, protect against errors in world view image refresh.
MD5 signature: C5B62EC1F0CD98BB0AE456F92257C0B8
- GRIB Viewer - 22.214.171.1244 -
Support H-SAF H15 data.
MD5 signature: 4DFBCC735A0596DDAE6FAF42D158AF14
- HRPT Reader - 126.96.36.1994 - Add enhanced NOAA BD thermal
LUT, more detail on file used for Kepler data, trap bad boundary overlay
data, provide estimated thermal calibration when calibration data is missing
but only for Metop-A and Metop-B, updates for Meteor-M N2 data in .DAT format from Oleg
via MetFy3x.exe (suppress "bad frames" message, approximate
corrected view and save functions.
MD5 signature: 1E8C204E5D59E678BE19962227870C7C
- Kepler Manager 188.8.131.52 - Allow control of timeout value (zero gives
defaults, maximum is 180 seconds).
MD5 signature: 8A283D7B41457556601F0AFD53194CF9
- Map-to-Geo - 184.108.40.206 - Add
MD5 signature: CA829CED6D9FBA84CF4A7EF5C891E8B1
- Metop Manager - 220.127.116.115 - Handle "Another copy..." better across restarts.
MD5 signature: 869ECDE234CF2F53E078A479AAA4C56B
- MODIS L1 Viewer - 18.104.22.168
- Set up/down text colour to blue for blue channel, prevent one variable not
MD5 signature: F2AD2DDD1786CCEFCDBA2954095661F5
- MSG Data Manager - 22.214.171.1243
- Don't report MTSAT if 2015-Dec-04 or later, update Met-7 Spring eclipse
dates, improved reporting for "No MPEF" (e.g. RSS all from MSG-1), allow saved source files to have no date tree, update Help list of
scanned directories, add support for Himawari band B09, add support for Meteor-M N2 MTVZA-GY sounder
(file names starting: m_m2_tb, add to ATOVS purge list), support View changes in Himawari detail
image, support more SMOS data, change in PNG support for GeoSatSignal -
should not affect this program.
MD5 signature: C90A71043BDECCD26D758E1E5D9E24DE
- Sea-Ice & SST Viewer - V126.96.36.199
- Support new-format DMI Sea-Ice concentration data, support new name for concentration data,
support multiple data types in new named data, remember form size and position between runs.
MD5 signature: 048E74394A2714386FDABC7178872655
- Vector Scope - V188.8.131.52 - Adapt for 64-bit Windows (works on 32- or 64-bit),
correct registration code.
MD5 signature: 2B4A0B001424E280DA5EC13DA7C333E1
- WXtrack - V184.108.40.2063 - Handle background being deleted behind our back
more elegantly, include "or out-of-date" in "No Keplers" message,
reduce minimum pass time from 30 to 5 seconds, save tracker precision
setting in unregistered version, add SpectraVue support (testing, enable SpectraVue in Tracker, Options,
attempts to set RX mode and centre frequency including Doppler shift based
on requested nominal frequency when tracking, option to get nominal
frequency from Radio.ini), add separate
continuous DDE tracking (satellite name without spaces, just as the original
DDE), add items to "ContinuousTracking2" DDE item under test.
Help updated about Radio.ini.
MD5 signature: 435C932402E677FD9FA1A25631A98989
I recommend Fred
van den Bosch's software DownloadPrograms - which will help to keep an eye on the
version numbers and updates for you!